Thursday, October 1, 2015

Magnify His Name!



Image result for praise god pictures        Recently I found myself humming the chorus to a song we used to sing at my former church where I used to live. The words go like this: “I’m free to worship, I’m free to praise, I’m free to lift up holy hands and magnify His name.” Intimacy, that is something our Lord so desires that we have with him. Are you free to worship him? I once heard someone say; “That praise and worship stuff if just a bunch of emotional hype for Pentecostals and Charismatics.” Oh my goodness, that is so far from the truth!
     All throughout the bible we find commands to praise and worship the Lord. Here are just two scripture passages of dozens found in the bible: “Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.”  Psalm 134:1-2 This next one was a real eye opener for me at one time. “Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, and His praise in the assembly of saints. …this honor have all His saints. Praise the LORD!  Psalm 149:1 & 9 (Emphasis mine) Do you see that? ALL God’s children have the awesome privilege of praising him. Let’s see how we can magnify his name together!
Mention His Name“ And in that day you will say: "Praise the LORD, call upon His name; declare His deeds among the peoples, make mention that His name is exalted.” Isaiah 12:4
     One way we can magnify the Lord is to be a witness for him. Give him praise by sharing with others what he has done for you.
Abide in His Presence - "Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.”
Acts 3:19
     Friend, when you need some refreshing in your life, the best thing to do is to spend time in the presence of the Lord. The Holy Spirit can do in seconds what it will take a counselor or doctor days, weeks or years to do.
Give Him the Glory“But "he who glories, let him glory in the Lord." 2 Corinthians 10:17
     When God moves through your life to minister to someone else, don’t take the credit for it. Give all the glory to God. We must never forget that it is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that we can do anything for God.  See Zechariah 4:6
No One Else - "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12
     We must remember that it is through Jesus Christ that one is born-again and gains eternal life. Our church, our pastor, or our denomination…nothing can save us but the shed blood of Jesus. We can’t even depend on the relationship our family members have with God. We must have our own relationship with him.
Intimacy“Draw near to God and He will draw near to you…” James 4:8
     The Lord is waiting for us with open arms to come to draw close to him. If your parents weren’t like that, know that God is. He loves you and wants to spend time with you.
Freedom - "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
    When you walk in the truth of God’s word you will be free to worship. You see, when we have things in our lives that we know are not right, it’s often difficult to enter into God’s presence & praise him. When things aren’t right we often let pride get in the way. Don’t’ run from God, run to him!
Yearn for More of Jesus“I spread out my hands to You; my soul longs for You like a thirsty land. Selah”  Psalms 143:6
     “Selah” means to “pause and consider this”. In other words, think about it, if we don’t spend time in God’s presence and in the bible, like the land without rain, our soul will become dry. Are you thirsty for more of Jesus? Cry out to him and he will fill you.
     Just knowing that he has saved you is worth praising him. Let me close with one of my favorite songs - “When I Think about the Lord/ How He saved me/ how He raised me/ how He filled me, with the Holy Ghost/. How He healed me, to the uttermost. When I Think about the Lord/ how He picked me up and turned me around/ how He placed my feet on solid ground/ It makes me wanna shout, Hallelujah, Thank you Jesus, Lord, your worthy, of all the glory/and all the honor/and all the praise... “
     Until next time, MAGNIFY his name!


No comments:

Post a Comment