Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Who Are You Looking For?



     The closer it gets to Christmas the more we hear of people talking about the birth of Jesus. I overheard an interesting comment in a store recently that went something like this: “ I don’t understand why everyone wants to make such a big fuss about a baby being born in a manger.” They made that statement as if to say that’s all Jesus ever was, just a baby. They seem to forget that he grew up to be a man. They forget that he died on a cross so that you and I upon repentance could receive forgiveness of our sin. They forget that he rose from the dead conquering death, hell and the grave. They forget that he made a promise that he will one day return to the earth to take his children home with him. He won’t be coming back as a little baby. Look at Revelation 19:16 – “And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.”
     Jesus Christ will return to earth as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He will come to receive his people to himself and judgment will begin. He is not just a baby; he is the Savior of the world. This week I want to focus on Jesus being our King. Yes, I am going to use an acronym again, this time with the word “Know”, to share how we can make him king of our lives.
Know Him - “…for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.” 2 Timothy 1:12
     It is not enough to just know “about” Jesus.  We must know him personally. We must have a relationship with him. Just because you’ve attended church all your life doesn’t mean you know him anymore that parking a bicycle in a garage makes it a car. Attending church doesn’t make you a Christian. Being born-again by repenting of your sin and asking Jesus to rule your heart and life begins the process of getting to know him in a real and personal way.
New Beginnings“Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them." Isaiah 42:9
     God wants to free us from our past, even from our difficult present. But we must be willing to give him the reigns of our life. He wants to give you a fresh new start. Sadly many want to come to God on their terms rather than according to the scriptures. Because of that they often miss out on the blessing of having new beginnings in their lives. I saw a bumper sticker one time that said, “God loves us too much to allow us to remain as we are.”  He wants to change us so that we can grow in Christ-like character in our daily lives.
Obedience - "If you love Me, keep My commandments.” John 14:15
     When we know him and can truly love him we will keep his commandments. Now, that doesn’t mean we can “pick and choose” what we will believe or obey. No, we must believe all of the word of God. And, if he calls something sin then we must do the same. If choose not to walk in obedience we will have God’s peace and blessing in our life.
Worship Him“Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.“ Psalm 95:6
     One of my favorite things to do is to spend time in praise and worship unto the Lord! Praise is a great weapon of spiritual warfare. When facing difficulties in life or need an answer to a pressing issue, often we can receive our answers and our comfort through taking time to worship Jesus as the king of our lives.
     Now in closing let’s look at a scripture that sort of pulls together everything we’ve just discussed. “Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God." (Psalm 50:23) I think verse makes it pretty simple for us.
     If we give praise to God he will be glorified in our life. It’s easy to give praise when we “order our conduct aright.” In other words when we live in line with the word of God we can than receive the promise of salvation. This means that life combined with right living and giving praise unto God will lead to living in the blessings of having salvation through a relationship with Jesus Christ.
     My friend, do you know him today? I mean really know him? If not, pray this prayer:
"Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins.  I repent for all sin I have committed. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life.  I ask you in to my life and heart to be my Lord and Savior. Help me to serve you for the rest of my life." In Jesus’ name, Amen.”  If you prayed that prayer for the first time, or maybe you’re coming back to the Lord, let someone know. Call a pastor, call our ministry or tell someone you know who is a Christian so that they can help you grow in your relationship with the Lord.
     Until next time, in the midst of the holiday rush, remember that Jesus is the reason for the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment